National Food Safety Week is an excellent opportunity to remind consumers of the dangers of food contamination by bacteria and of the benefits of using modern refrigeration appliances.
The majority of food bacteria thrive in hot weather. According to the Food Standards Agency, poisoning affects more than five million people in Britain every year. Supporting the aims of the campaign, Maytag UK offers tips which retailers can pass to their consumers on safe summer eating and food storage:
- Keep your fridge between 0-5ºC – many new refrigerators offer advance temperature monitoring and control systems to manage this process for you.
- Don’t overload your refrigerator; this can reduce its performance.
- If the fridge and/freezer is not frost free, defrost regularly – it will work more efficiently – many modern refrigeration appliances incorporate software to automatically defrost when required.
- Defrost food thoroughly before cooking, and do this in the fridge. At fridge temperatures bacteria only multiply slowly.
- Place food to be defrosted at the bottom of the fridge, so that any drips can’t contaminate other food items.
- Keep raw meat covered at the bottom of the fridge and away from ready prepared foods and dishes – this helps to avoid cross-contamination.