TV programmes and glossy mags are the go-to guides for home décor inspiration according to findings from a survey of more than 1,000 UK consumers, carried out on behalf of kitchen appliance manufacturer Gorenje.
- One in three of us have redecorated our kitchens in the last three years
- The media is one of the biggest influences for home design with one in five UK consumers (19.4%) admitting that it was TV shows and home magazines that inspired them to refresh their décor
- Celebrities only inspired 2% of the UK consumers questioned, and social media 6%
- Over a quarter (27.50%) of 55+ year olds say that in-store displays/shops inspire their current kitchen designs compared to just one in eight (12.00%) of 25-34 year olds
- More than a third (35.70%) of respondents would choose a designer appliance to update their kitchen, with one in 10 (12.90%) citing the brand name/logo as the main reason to make the purchase and one in four (24.40%) citing style
- Women are more likely to be tempted by designer kitchen appliances, with 40% revealing that if money was no object they would invest in one, compared to 30% of men
- Ovens came out on top (26.4%) for both men and women as the appliance they’d be most willing to spend money on
Gorenje sales director Stuart Benson commented: “We’ve seen more and more consumers select appliances from our design lines, such as our exclusive Gorenje by Starck range of kitchen appliances, as they embrace decorating and renovation trends, and increasingly look for appliances that are part of a set to give their kitchen the real wow factor.
“The kitchen is the heart of the home and this survey reveals just how much importance modern consumers now place on it as a room to express their aesthetic taste and lifestyle.”